Thursday, July 16, 2020

Day 2 - On to Nevada and an Off-road trip

Got away from Redding CA about 8:30AM and was driving to Carson City NV through the Lassen National Forest.  A pleasant drive but I wasn't doing much sightseeing.  Elmer and I did stop at a rest area...




...and that's where we saw that some fellow who was driving from Redding to Carson City went missing June 19, 2020. 

I decided to move along,  The route took us through Susanville.  I was hoping they would have a big Welcome to Susanville sign I could mug next to but the store signs in the background will have to do.  


I was driving along and noticed an SUV behind me that seemed like it might be a Highway Patrol car.  As I went over a little rise I saw lettering on his roof confirming it.  I was doing the speed limit on cruise control but you always wait for the lights to come on.  As a passing lane came up, he came along side and passed me...then another one passed me, and another, and another.  There were a total of 7 K-9 patrol cars traveling along.  If you look closely they are visible in the middle of this lineup for a road construction hold.


I arrived in Carson City about 1:30PM, had some lunch and then headed for Humbolt-Toiyabe National Forest and a drive along the Kings Canyon Road.  Its a well traveled 4 wheel drive road. I've driven on a number of gravel and forest roads but this was the first one that high clearance and 4wd was needed to get through.



There were only a few tight spots that took a careful bit of driving and taking the right line to get through...this was one.

It was actually easier than it looks, the jeep just went right through.  I did air down the tires to make the ride over choppy rocks smoother and give more traction over larger rocks like this one.  There were plenty of views.







As I got to the end of the track I saw this sign...I did not see one of these on the end that I started on!


...well I guess Jeeps can get through also!  It really wasn't that difficult. After this I went along the Lake Tahoe Shore drive.  It was scenic but packed with people, too many to make it enjoyable.


To end the day I was able to get a takeout salmon salad from the Sassafras Eclectic Food Joint!


Tomorrow I travel US 50 across Nevada; the Lonliest Road. Probably boring as all get out but something I wanted to do.  The route is https://goo.gl/maps/HcgxkoefjVS2jqkR6


No comments:

Post a Comment