Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Day 7 - On the Road Again...

Up a bit later this morning and I did not get moving until about 9am.  Missing my little buddy Elmer



The scenery changed throughout the drive east with the big cliff like structures giving way to more open spaces.


By the way, if you haven't discovered it already, you can click on the pictures and they should expand in size to get a better look.  I did take one scenic tour in the Black Canyon National Park.  It was right off US 50 so I decided to take a look.  To be honest, you really need to hike into the canyon to experience the best of the National Park but there were some scenic viewpoints.



..but even here it could get a bit crowded!


From the National Park I was simply driving to get to Canon City, Colorado.  A few examples of the driving views....





I did come across some scattered rain showers.  You can just see one in this photo as a dark shadow reaching down to the roadway.


Along much of the way there were state park or forest service rest areas which made the traveling very convenient.  Almost all had some people in them (some included boat launch areas) but they were never crowded.



As I approached Canon City, I was climbing in elevation.  Canon City is just over 5,000 feet in elevation just like Denver.  The road had some interesting rock formations.





Just before entering Canon City there was a mess of fire trucks, police and ambulances on the other side of the road.  Of course that slowed down our side as well.  As I went past I could see some of the fire rescue guys 3/4 of the way up the side of the cliff.  I did not hear anything on the news about it tonight so don't really know what was going on.  


That's a wrap for tonight.  I plan on making more miles east tomorrow and am headed for Dodge City Kansas.  Putting my spurs on!  Here's the route:








No comments:

Post a Comment