Thursday, August 20, 2020

Day 2 - early morning get away

Woke up very early around 5am so I was on the road before 6:30am.  It's quiet and pretty driving early on and for the first part of the drive there was lots of fog in low lying spots or where I crossed over rivers.  It wasn't really a problem for driving except one or two spots.  The rest of the time it was just scenic.

 


One of the rest stops had something that I have not seen in quite some time!

For a while I was on the same road I've traveled in my earlier trip in 2018, US 60 and American Pharoh Blvd.  This is horse country with some huge fenced in areas for horses and equally large estates. This route led to getting on the Bluegrass Parkway on the way to Elizabethtown KY.

Having left so early I arrived in Elizabethtown about 1pm and after getting checked in looked around for someplace to go.  Just a few miles away was Swopes Cars of Yesteryear Museum a vintage car museum.  It is the collection of Bill Swope a local fellow who started a car dealership. , Now there are several Swope dealerships surrounding the museum!



The fellow at the museum said there was actually only about half the collection in the museum at any given time!  Just after entering I saw this beautiful '57 Chevy.  My parents had a black and white '57 Chevy which I drove a couple of years while at Lafayette.  When I told the guy I used to drive one of those he looked at me a little funny....


Here's a small sample of the many cars that were there!



The hood ornaments on some of these cars are just incredible. 



Tomorrow is another day of mostly driving.  I hope to get to Mountain Home, AR.  Its a little over 7 hours of driving but most of the closer destinations are in higher Covid case rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment