Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Day 8 - Back to Carson City NV

 On the Eastbound leg of this trip my second night was in Carson City NV as a prelude to doing the "lonliest road" trip on US 50 across Nevada.  This time I came through Nevada from the south along the Extraterrestrial Highway.  It was about an 8.5 hours of drivng. 

The day started with some nice scenic rock formations.



After the rocks it became desert with lots of sagebrush.  There were places where there were also some Joshua trees.




The Extraterrestrial Highway was named around the time the movie Independence Day was filmed.  Part of the film was supposed to be at Area 51 which is next to the EH although there is nothing visible from the roadway.  


I did not see any UFOs, aliens, strange aircraft or other mysterious things.  In fact, there was a lot of nothing to be honest.  Except some alien graffiti that is.  Spongy and I did make the mandatory stop at the Little AleInn.






Just after leaving the ET Highway I saw an unusual sky formation.  It looked like a couple of Xs in the sky on each side of a large tower.  I could not figure out what it was.  There was a road leading out to it called Gabes Pole Road.  After a bit of google searching I found that its a solar energy power generation station that has apparently failed.  I do not think it was operating but the array of mirrors around the tower were reflecting sunlight back up in the sky and because of the high concentration of California fire smoke in the air (it was pretty hazy) I could see the reflected light.  My picture of it is less clear than what I could see visually and with binoculars.


I'll be in Bandon tomorrow with another 8 hour driving time trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment